Nicholas and Matthew in their matching sweaters (Matthew picked it out for Nicholas' b-day)
Last Wednesday, Nicholas celebrated his 11th birthday (as noted in an earlier post on Facebook). Each day I am reminded how lucky I am to have such wonderful, stable, loving children, but each year on their birthday I make it a point to reflect on how much they bring to my life.
Nicholas, my little piper, determined against all odds to play the bagpipes started almost 3 years ago on his chanter. His first public performance was to play Amazing Grace at my Nana's funeral. I have never been so proud of him as I was that day. To stand up in front of a room full on strangers, and heartbroken family, and play his heart out in honour of my Nana (and Papa that had gone on before her) My Papa never got to hear Nicholas play, but being the stubborn Scot that he was... I'm sure if possible... he's moved hell and high water just to be present enough to be a part of Nicholas' piping. Actually in honour of this family legacy, my Aunt Diane bought Nicholas' first set of pipes, so that he could fulfill his dream.
We had dinner at my dad's Saturday night and I honestly didn't realize that my dad hadn't heard Nick on the actual pipes before. Nick got them out and started playing... and I mentioned that he wanted to go play at the graveside, and Nicholas started playing Amazing Grace on the pipes for my dad. Well it was a little to overwhelming and my dad started to cry...
Nicholas, with the sense of humour too much like my own, my cool kid... who is everyone's friend... who is confident... yet so compassionate and loving. The world is a better place because he is in it!
(Oh... and Caileigh and Joel...don't worry, you will get your Birthday Blog too ;) )

No comments:
Post a Comment